Citrus Beet Salad With Tahini Dressing
This colorful salad serves up a healthy variety of nutrients, including antioxidant vitamins C, A, and E, along with essential minerals like manganese and potassium. Additionally, walnuts are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids and beets are a good source of folate, a B vitamin essential for fetal development and healthy red blood cell production. Enjoy this salad as a refreshing first course or add grilled chicken, baked fish, sautéed shrimp, or grass-fed beef for a heartier meal.
Yield: 2 – 3 servings
Prep Time: 45 – 60 minutes; 10 minutes with advance prep
2 medium beets, boiled, peeled, and sliced
1 navel or blood orange, peeled and diced
1 grapefruit or 1/2 pomelo, peeled and diced
1 avocado, peeled and sliced
2 teaspoons tahini
Juice of 1 lemon
2 teaspoons honey
4 cups arugula or mixed greens of your choice
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a small pot, cover beets with water and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium heat and simmer until tender, about 30 to 60 minutes depending on size.
2. Once beets are cooked completely, rinse them in cold water and trim the tips and stem. The skin should rub off easily; use a dark-colored damp towel to avoid stained hands. Slice peeled beets into small strips.
3. Peel and dice orange, grapefruit, and avocado. Set aside.
4. In a small bowl, whisk tahini, lemon juice, and honey until creamy. Add more lemon juice if necessary to reach desired consistency.
5. Toss beets, orange, grapefruit and avocado with rinsed salad greens. Top with chopped walnuts, drizzle dressing on top and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve up and enjoy!
Short on time? Pick up prepared beets in the refrigerated section of the grocery store, or at a salad bar, and you can prep this salad in about 10 minutes.
The One Medical blog is published by One Medical, a national, modern primary care practice pairing 24/7 virtual care services with inviting and convenient in-person care at over 100 locations across the U.S. One Medical is on a mission to transform health care for all through a human-centered, technology-powered approach to caring for people at every stage of life.
Any general advice posted on our blog, website, or app is for informational purposes only and is not intended to replace or substitute for any medical or other advice. 1Life Healthcare, Inc. and the One Medical entities make no representations or warranties and expressly disclaim any and all liability concerning any treatment, action by, or effect on any person following the general information offered or provided within or through the blog, website, or app. If you have specific concerns or a situation arises in which you require medical advice, you should consult with an appropriately trained and qualified medical services provider.