The crunch of crisp beans and bright flavor of fresh basil makes this a wonderful summer dish. Three-bean salad is perfect for a picnic, potluck, or barbecue, as you won’t need to worry about spoilage in warm weather. Steaming the beans briefly, rather than boiling them, helps retain important nutrients and a crunchy texture.
Yield: 6 servings
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
1/2 pound green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 pound yellow wax beans or scarlet runner beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 shallots, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup basil leaves, chopped
1/2 cup shredded Asiago or Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1. Steam the green beans and yellow wax beans for 4 minutes. Refresh under cold water and pat dry.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the green and yellow beans, cannellini beans, and shallot.
3. In a small bowl, whisk to combine the white wine vinegar and Dijon mustard. Whisk in the olive oil, and then add the chopped basil and mix.
4. Pour the dressing over the beans and mix gently. Chill for 1 hour.
5. Just before serving, sprinkle with the Asiago or Parmesan cheese.