Sometimes all you need is a combination of sweet and savory with a little crunch to quench a craving. In small quantities, nuts are an excellent, nourishing snack. They’re a great source of minerals, vitamin E, dietary fiber, and polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats, which improve blood cholesterol levels and can help reduce your risk of heart disease.
These delicious nuts are easy to stash and nibble on at work, while traveling, or pre- or post-workout. Or fill a small mason jar and give them away as a gift this holiday season!
Yield: 4 cups
1 cup almonds
1 cup pecans
1 cup cashews
1 cup walnuts
2 egg whites
1/4 cup melted butter, ghee, or coconut oil
1/4 cup honey
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1-2 teaspoons minced rosemary
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons flaky sea salt (Celtic sea salt or pink Himalayan preferred)
1. Preheat oven to 300°F.
2. In a large bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy.
3. Add the nuts and stir until they are well-coated. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, stir melted butter, honey, maple syrup, ginger, cinnamon, rosemary, pepper and only 1 teaspoon of the salt.
4. Add the butter and spice blend to the nuts; mix thoroughly. Be sure all the nuts are evenly coated.
5. Spread the coated nuts in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
6. Roast in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the nuts are crisp and golden brown.
7. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the remaining salt over the nuts as you stir. Allow the nuts to cool before serving.
The One Medical blog is published by One Medical, an innovative primary care practice with offices in Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Phoenix, the San Francisco Bay Area, Seattle, and Washington, DC.
Any general advice posted on our blog, website, or app is for informational purposes only and is not intended to replace or substitute for any medical or other advice. The One Medical Group entities and 1Life Healthcare, Inc. make no representations or warranties and expressly disclaim any and all liability concerning any treatment, action by, or effect on any person following the general information offered or provided within or through the blog, website, or app. If you have specific concerns or a situation arises in which you require medical advice, you should consult with an appropriately trained and qualified medical services provider.