Brussels sprouts are an excellent source of vitamins C, K, and A, and are packed with fiber, potassium, and B vitamins. Brussels sprouts and other cruciferous vegetables are not only nutritionally dense, but when properly prepared, they’re delicious.
For the best nutritional value, don’t overcook Brussels sprouts. Toss them in a simple green salad or quickly braise them for a versatile side dish. Serve braised Brussels sprouts with broiled fish or chicken.
Yield: 4 servings
1 pound Brussels spouts
1 tomato, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup white wine
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoon capers, rinsed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Rinse the Brussels sprouts, trim the stems, and remove any damaged outer leaves. Cut in half.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet, add the onion and garlic, and cook until the onion is soft, but not brown, about 4 minutes.
3. Add the Brussels sprouts, toss with the onion, and cook for 3 minutes. Add the tomato, wine, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
4. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until the Brussels sprouts are just tender, about 12 minutes.
5. Add the capers and parsley, toss, and serve.
The One Medical blog is published by One Medical, an innovative primary care practice with offices in Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Phoenix, the San Francisco Bay Area, Seattle, and Washington, DC.
Any general advice posted on our blog, website, or app is for informational purposes only and is not intended to replace or substitute for any medical or other advice. The One Medical Group entities and 1Life Healthcare, Inc. make no representations or warranties and expressly disclaim any and all liability concerning any treatment, action by, or effect on any person following the general information offered or provided within or through the blog, website, or app. If you have specific concerns or a situation arises in which you require medical advice, you should consult with an appropriately trained and qualified medical services provider.