This recipe contains a balance of omega fatty acids. The halibut contains omega-3 fatty acids, and the herbs, walnuts, and unheated extra virgin olive oil contain omega-6 and -9 fatty acids. When you incorporate these healthy fats into your diet along with a range of unprocessed, whole foods, you and your family will reap health benefits including decreased blood triglyceride levels, slowing of atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries), and slightly decreased blood pressure – all of which can mean a reduced risk of heart disease and stroke.
Basil & Cilantro Pesto over Baked Fish
1 cup cilantro leaves, tightly packed
2 cups basil leaves, rough chopped, and tightly packed
½ cup walnuts, soaked in water for 4 – 5 hours, drained (*the soaking is optional, but better for digestion)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
¼ tsp. sea salt
fresh ground black pepper to taste
4 halibut filets (approx. 6 oz. each)
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 small clove garlic, sliced
Sea salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
1. Start by making the pesto, as the flavors will coalesce deliciously together when allowed to rest for a while. Place all the ingredients in a food processor (except for the olive oil). Pulse a few times to chop up the contents and then drizzle the olive oil slowly into the mixture with the processor on. Blend until well mixed. Makes about 1 cup of pesto.
2. Now for the fish. Preheat oven to 325º F. (Low temperature gives better texture and helps to retain moisture.)
3. Rinse the filets with water and pat dry with paper towels. Place them in a single layer in an ovenproof dish and season lightly with sea salt, fresh ground black pepper and top with the sliced garlic pieces. Drizzle with the olive oil and loosely cover the dish with a piece of parchment paper. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes.
The filet is done when it’s firm to the touch, the meat is opaque & flakey, or it registers 140º F internal temperature. Serve immediately with a good dollop of pesto over the fish.
- Roasted zucchini or sautéed dark leafy greens make tasty and nutritious side dishes for this recipe.
- Enjoy left over pesto over scrambled eggs or over grilled chicken or vegetables.
- You can substitute the halibut with salmon or cod.