Having some basic staples ready for the week makes cooking breakfast a snap. Keep some pre-made brown basmati rice on hand, and you can whip up this warm, satisfying, healthy morning meal in under five minutes flat.
Yield: 1 to 2 servings
Prep time: 2 minutes
Total time: 5 minutes
1/2 cup previously-cooked long-grain brown basmati rice
1/4 cup almond/other alternative milk (see Recipe Notes)
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup almonds and pecans
1/2 apple, grated or seasonal berries
1. Place rice, milk, and nutmeg in a medium saucepan and warm over medium heat.
2. Serve with grated apple, a sprinkle of ground flaxseed, and chopped nuts.
- Coconut milk is recommended to give the porridge a nice creamy texture.
- You can also use a mixture of water and alternative milk, but the porridge won’t be as creamy.
- For variety, substitute roughly chopped walnuts and/or ground shelled hemp seed for the almonds and pecans.