I discovered this simple, nutritious porridge with some friends in chef’s school and someone dubbed it “Purple Porridge” because the quinoa takes on the rich hue of the blueberries. It takes just a few minutes to prep and 20 minutes to cook, so by the time you take the dog out, make your tea, and get the rest of your household up, it’s ready.
If your morning routine is tight, you can also make a big batch ahead of time and keep it in the fridge for a few days. Just add a touch of water or milk (of your choice) to the saucepan while you’re heating it up. However, please know that it won’t be the same vibrant purple color as it was when you first cooked it.
- ½ cup quinoa (rinsed thoroughly – this is vital to wash away the bitter coating on the grain)
- 1 cup filtered water
- ½ banana, mashed
- ¼ cup frozen blueberries
- Tiny pinch of salt (optional)
- Rinse your quinoa thoroughly through a fine meshed sieve.
- Place all ingredients into a heavy bottomed saucepan with a tight fitting lid. Bring to a boil.
- Once it reaches a boil, turn it down to a simmer, cover, and leave it for 20 minutes. (Set a timer if you have to – I do!)
- After 20 minutes of simmering, remove the lid and stir to blend the blueberries with the porridge.
- Enjoy with unsweetened dried coconut, toasted pecans, and almond milk.