With a little advance preparation, you can have this tasty, lean protein-packed salad on the table in 15 minutes. Next time you’re making dinner, grill or broil a couple of extra chicken breasts and make a pot of quinoa in advance. Having these ingredients on hand ensures that you’ll be able to prep any number of simple, healthful recipes in no time, no matter how busy your week.
Yield: 3 – 4 servings
Total time: 15 minutes
For the salad:
2 – 3 golden baby beets, peeled and thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
2 cooked chicken breasts, sliced
1 – 2 heads of romaine lettuce, washed, dried, and roughly chopped
1 zucchini, thinly sliced on the diagonal
1 yellow squash, thinly sliced on the diagonal
1 bunch chives, finely chopped
For the dressing:
3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
1 – 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
1 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 small shallot, finely chopped
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Chop the shallot. In a small bowl, mix all of the dressing ingredients and set aside.
2. Wash, dry, and roughly chop the romaine lettuce. Add to a large mixing bowl.
3. Slice the zucchini, squash, and beets. Add all three ingredients the mixing bowl.
3. Chop the chives and set aside.
4. Slice the chicken breasts. Add the chicken and quinoa to the large bowl and toss all of the salad ingredients (except the chives) together.
5. Lightly dress the salad and toss well to coat evenly. Add more dressing if necessary and season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Garnish with chives and serve immediately.
A mandolin creates beautifully sliced produce, but if you don’t have one, a vegetable peeler is just as effective (and much less hassle!).