One Medical is a primary care platform challenging the industry status quo by making quality care more affordable, accessible and enjoyable. But this isn’t your average doctor’s office. We’re on a mission to radically transform healthcare, which means tackling the frustrations of everyone involved — from patients and providers to employers and health networks.
Across the country, our members enjoy seamless access to comprehensive care at more than 180 locations across 28 cities (and counting!) as well as 24/7 access to virtual care powered by intelligent uses of technology. In addition to a direct-to-consumer membership model, we work with more than 7,000 companies to provide One Medical health benefits to their employees.
The Engineering Efficiency team’s goal is to support the growth of the engineering organization and company overall by increasing developer productivity. We focus on creating tooling and processes that are used by engineers working across One Medical’s suite of applications. One Medical has decided to invest in engineering efficiency as a discipline because we’re at the size such that a platform team like this can have a huge impact (and that impact will continue to increase over time). This is a chance to play a major role in shaping our engineering culture.
This is a great role for someone who’s ever been frustrated by broken systems and lack of organizational will to fix them. We are consciously investing effort to improve our technical platform. The job allows and requires flexing a large number of different skillsets: creative thought leaderships, working closely with other teams, deep architectural thinking, detailed technical understanding, collaboration with a great group of engineers
Engineers are our primary customers. That is a really fun space to be in for the right person.
What you'll likely work on:
- Lead a team of engineers focused on enabling the engineering organization to build software more efficiently, with higher quality, and with greater developer happiness.
- Drive the Engineering Efficiency strategy in an innovative, fast-paced environment
- Own the success of the team’s projects including planning, execution, and post-release improvements
- Collaborate closely with leaders across the organization to develop a multi-quarter roadmap to best meet the organization’s needs
- Communicate frequently with leadership, key stakeholders, and also the broader engineering organization
- Provide feedback, career guidance, and mentoring for team members
- In collaboration with other leaders on the team, develop and iterate on processes to support the team’s success
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of One Medical’s engineering management team
What you’ll need:
- Strong passion for making developers highly productive.
- Understanding of how fundamental technical, tooling, and process issues, when working well, contribute to an optimal developer experience.
- Proactive attitude towards fixing what’s broken
- 3+ years of experience in a software engineering management position
- 7+ years of experience in software development
- Ability to align teams around both simple and complex projects and architectural solutions
- Experience collaborating with product and engineering leadership to plan and deliver on a roadmap which moves important metrics
- Nuanced and well-founded perspectives on developing complex web applications in a modern technology stack
- Ability to guide and motivate senior and above engineers along the next steps in their careers, on both individual and management tracks
- An empathetic and collaborative approach to leadership
- Clear and persuasive verbal and written communication skills
Not required, but would be great if you also had:
- Experience managing a team focused on developer productivity
- Experience working in both monolith-based and more distributed environments
- A passion for healthcare and/or experience working with EHRs
- Ruby on Rails knowledge
Benefits designed to aid your health and wellness:
Taking care of you today
- Paid sabbatical after 5 and 10 years
- Employee Assistance Program - Free confidential advice for team members who need help with stress, anxiety, financial planning, and legal issues
- Competitive Medical, Dental and Vision plans
- Free One Medical memberships for yourself, your friends and family
- Pre-Tax commuter benefits
- PTO cash outs - Option to cash out up to 40 accrued hours per year
Protecting your future for you and your family
- 401K match
- Opportunity to participate in company equity programs
- Credit towards emergency childcare
- Company paid maternity and paternity leave
- Paid Life Insurance - One Medical pays 100% of the cost of Basic Life Insurance
- Disability insurance - One Medical pays 100% of the cost of Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance
This is a full-time role that can be located anywhere in the US.
One Medical is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage qualified applicants of every background, ability, and life experience to contact us about appropriate employment opportunities.
Subject to applicable law, proof of COVID 19 vaccination is required for employees and contractors who interact with patients, access a shared office space or engage with other team members, except where a medical or religious accommodation applies.
One Medical participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. Please refer to the E-Verification Poster (English/Spanish) and Right to Work Poster (English/Spanish) for additional information.