One Medical is a primary care platform challenging the industry status quo by making quality care more affordable, accessible and enjoyable. But this isn’t your average doctor’s office. We’re on a mission to radically transform healthcare, which means tackling the frustrations of everyone involved — from patients and providers to employers and health networks.
Across the country, our members enjoy seamless access to comprehensive care at more than 90 locations across thirteen cities (and counting!) as well as 24/7 access to virtual care powered by intelligent uses of technology. In addition to a direct-to-consumer membership model, we work with more than 7,000 companies to provide One Medical health benefits to their employees.
At One Medical we build most of the consumer, operational and clinical software used by our members, providers and admins. This unusual level of integration and ownership allows us to develop innovative products and services that are tackling some of the most difficult problems in healthcare.
In this role, you will lead and grow a team of talented product designers who work on the products used by our providers and care teams, including our proprietary electronic medical record system. A UX researcher (we’re currently filling this role) who will collaborate closely with the designers on the team will also report to you. In addition to leading the design and UX research work for these products, you will lean in on defining the long-term strategy for these tools by collaborating closely with the product, engineering, clinical, and operational leaders, as well as our One Medical providers who are integral part of our design process.
The members of your team handle the entire lifecycle of product and user experience, from early concepting in design sprints, building and testing prototypes with users, shipping production-ready designs, analyzing the success of launched features, and continually iterating. In addition to designing screens, the designers are also thinking through the end-to-end service design along with our cross-functional team members from the product development organization as well as from our clinical and ops teams. In the Senior Design Manager role, you will also collaborate closely with the design team that works on our member facing products (iOS and Android phone apps & web portal).
Your role is to ensure that every touchpoint of the user experience is well-supported and executed. You will articulate an effective and inspiring strategy for the design team that balances the day-to-day requirements, forward-looking investments in design infrastructure, and a compelling vision for the product offering that can truly transform healthcare. As a proven and effective team builder, you value a diverse mix of styles, perspectives and experiences, all while leading the team to apply those diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
What you’ll work on:
- Growing and managing a world-class team of product designers responsible for designing our provider and care team tools.
- Collaborating with product management and engineering leaders to influence and establish priorities for the team.
- Coaching and mentoring the individual contributors on the team and providing them with growth and leadership opportunities. Establishing a team culture that fosters creativity and excellence in design execution.
- Leading an inclusive design process by facilitating vision setting, ideation, planning, and creative execution.
- Inspiring the product development organization to see new opportunities for improving our product offering. Collaborating with cross-functional stakeholders to make the vision a reality.
- Ensuring the user experiences delivered by the design team meet a high quality bar and working with cross-functional leaders to remove any roadblocks that might come in the way of design excellence.
- 10+ years of product design experience with technology products
- 5+ years of experience working with in-house engineering and product management teams taking features from idea to launch
- 3+ years as a people manager with a strong focus on career development for your direct reports
- A design portfolio showing a variety of product design projects you and/or the teams you’ve managed have designed. Your portfolio should show the design process, too, not just final designs.
- Ability to thrive working in cross-functional teams with product managers, engineers, operations, customer support, clinical, and QA, among others.
- Deep focus on human and value-centered design. You think about design decisions to drive the business forward while ensuring high design quality.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills. You are comfortable with ambiguity and enthusiastic about tackling the toughest problems in patient-centric care.
Not required, but it would be great if you also had:
- Experience designing for end-to-end experiences across complex multi-sided product ecosystems.
- Experience managing multidisciplinary UX teams (design, research etc.).
- Experience designing products in the healthcare space
Benefits designed to aid your health and wellness:
Taking care of you today
- Paid sabbatical after 5 and 10 years
- Employee Assistance Program - Free confidential advice for team members who need help with stress, anxiety, financial planning, and legal issues
- Competitive Medical, Dental and Vision plans
- Free One Medical memberships for yourself, your friends and family
- Pre-Tax commuter benefits
- PTO cash outs - Option to cash out up to 40 accrued hours per year
Protecting your future for you and your family
- 401K match
- Opportunity to participate in company equity programs
- Credit towards emergency childcare
- Company paid maternity and paternity leave
- Paid Life Insurance - One Medical pays 100% of the cost of Basic Life Insurance
- Disability insurance - One Medical pays 100% of the cost of Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance
This is a full-time role based anywhere in the United States.
One Medical is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage qualified applicants of every background, ability, and life experience to contact us about appropriate employment opportunities.
Proof of COVID 19 vaccination is required for employees and contractors who interact with patients, access a shared office space or engage with other team members, except where a medical or religious accommodation applies.