At One Medical we are passionate about revolutionizing the healthcare industry by offering a new approach to primary care. This isn’t your average doctor’s office – we combine people-centered design, technology, and a team of talented providers to give our members an amazing experience.
One Medical is the fastest-growing primary care system in the country with over 70 locations in major cities nationwide. You’ll find us in Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Phoenix, Seattle, the San Francisco Bay Area, Washington, DC and most recently, San Diego.
One Medical is seeking an outstanding Privacy Counsel to join our dynamic and growing Legal team. The Privacy Counsel will support our corporate and clinical functions to provide guidance on privacy requirements and best practices for privacy and data governance, including those relating to HIPAA and the CCPA. Reporting to the Senior Corporate Counsel for Technology and Privacy, the Privacy Counsel will work closely with One Medical’s Compliance team to manage and evolve the privacy program, and collaborate cross-functionally with stakeholders to implement effective policies and processes. The Privacy Counsel will have subject matter expertise for privacy and data matters related to One Medical’s consumer, enterprise, and clinical operations, external partnerships, delivering pragmatic guidance targeted to the internal client.
The successful candidate will be a persuasive communicator adept at collaborating with diverse teams in a highly cross-functional setting, while anticipating and reacting to different needs with situational adjustment to approach. Also critical to this role is the ability to drive initiatives for effective execution. As part of a close-knit Legal and Compliance team, this individual will be a reliable resource for their Legal and Compliance colleagues. If you are driven to take on new opportunities with enthusiasm, enjoy navigating complex and ambiguous challenges, and willing to “roll up your sleeves” as part of an organization that is a true innovator in the healthcare space, then we would love to hear from you!
What you'll likely work on:
- Own subject matter expertise in areas of privacy, data use, and data protection laws, including HIPAA, CCPA, and state privacy and data laws where One Medical operates
- Work with supervising counsel and Compliance to develop and implement a comprehensive privacy program; roll-out internal and external privacy policies, notices and processes
- Partner with Product, Engineering, Security and other relevant teams to incorporate privacy-by-design principles into standard work
- Advise diverse internal teams on legal and regulatory requirements relating to privacy and data protection
- Negotiate and draft agreements relating to data rights and use
- Develop training materials and resource documents around privacy and data governance
- Assist Compliance in performing privacy impact/risk assessments; maintain ongoing plan to ensure remediation and closure of any identified gaps
You’ll be set up for success if you have:
- J.D. from an ABA accredited law school and an active member in good standing with the Bar in any state (if not licensed in California, must be a CA Registered In-house Counsel).
- Minimum of 7 years of legal practice experience post J.D. with 2+ years experience specializing in privacy matters; a balance of firm and in-house experience is preferred, with strong preference for in-house experience
- Demonstrated experience with driving privacy initiatives at the organization-level with a preference for Privacy-by-Design
- Expertise in consumer and health care privacy, including HIPAA and relevant state privacy laws
- Strong preference for CIPP/US and/or CHPC certification.
- Solid understanding of technology, particularly health care-related technology; familiarity with licensing and technology transactions a plus
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
Benefits designed to aid your health and wellness:
Taking care of you today
- Paid sabbatical after 5 and 10 years
- Employee Assistance Program - Free confidential advice for team members who need help with stress, anxiety, financial planning, and legal issues
- Competitive Medical, Dental and Vision plans
- Free One Medical memberships for yourself, your friends and family
- Pre-Tax commuter benefits
- PTO cash outs - Option to cash out up to 40 accrued hours per year
Protecting your future for you and your family
- 401K match
- Credit towards emergency childcare
- Extra contributions toward maternity and paternity leave
- Paid Life Insurance - One Medical pays 100% of the cost of Basic Life Insurance
- Disability insurance - One Medical pays 100% of the cost of Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance
This is a full-time role based in
San Francisco, CA.
One Medical is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants from every background and life experience.