At One Medical we are passionate about revolutionizing the healthcare industry by offering a new approach to primary care. This isn’t your average doctor’s office – we combine people-centered design, technology, and a team of talented providers to give our members an amazing experience.
One Medical is the fastest-growing primary care system in the country with over 70 locations in major cities nationwide. You’ll find us in Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Phoenix, Seattle, the San Francisco Bay Area, Washington, DC and most recently, San Diego.
As the One Medical Director of External Communications, you will lead the brand’s communication strategy, PR planning and go-to-market execution. Reporting into the Chief Marketing Officer, you will set the overarching communications strategy to be recognized as the “most loved healthcare brand” and define how One Medical delivers on our brand positioning - Real Life Care. This role presents a rare opportunity to work across all aspects of one of the fastest growing, modern health brands to lead cutting-edge PR and communication initiatives from ideation through execution. You will work with a variety of external partners leading a retained PR agency and variety of other PR specialized support. This role involves management across divergent businesses and timelines inside and outside of One Medical.
We want to talk to you if you are experienced in, and excited by, crafting disruptive storytelling efforts to create a paradigm shift and ignite top-of-funnel brand consideration among consumers; protecting, managing and strengthening One Medical’s reputation among a wide spectrum of stakeholders; activating an array of channels and tools to create engagement with One Medical’s content and narrative. To be successful you will need be collaborative in your approach, innovative, and highly skilled in strategic ideation, and developing and executing strategic communications campaigns across channels (owned/social/earned and paid).
What you'll likely work on:
- Landing stories and opportunities that tell the One Medical story in consistent and creative ways that create momentum for the company and its consumer-centric strategy
- Develop and drive communications strategies to elevate consumer awareness of One Medical vision, growth and products that help drive ongoing customer acquisition, engagement and loyalty
- Guardian of the One Medical company and product story; capturing the voice, vision and tone across all mediums
- Develop, update and deliver consistent messaging and proof points to use in communications materials, product visuals, presentations, executive interview prep and blogs, social and outbound PR messaging to media etc.
- Lead a retained agency strategy and team that plays a big role in media outreach campaigns - includes business narrative, events and product placement programs.
- Develop speaker bureau program for CEO/CTO and secure executive media interviews that elevate and strengthen the leadership team’s profile in sharing the One Medical story and mission
- Serve as company media contact and build key relationships by identifying most appropriate and influential industry validators/analysts
- Collaborate closely with internal stakeholders including marketing, social media, creative, legal, product, operations, etc.
You’ll be set up for success if you have:
- 8+ years communications/PR experience, in-house and/or agency
- 4+ years experience in a leadership role that includes driving communication strategy and leading teams
- Successful prior experience building and running communications/PR function from ground up at a startup consumer brand
- Analytical skill set to track and map research, trends and data points and incorporate into the One Medical narrative, media pitches and other tactical activities
- Experience successfully managing teams, including external PR firms and media contacts
- Entrepreneurial spirit - scrappy and proactive, where you are able to work independently to both develop and implement new ideas within finite resources
- Exceptional writing and editing skills along with the ability to create compelling stories
- Highly successful at reaching consumers through targeted communications programs and strategy through direct execution when required
- Top-notch Dental, Vision, and Health Insurance
- PTO, Paid Holidays, and Sabbatical at 5 and 10 years
- 401K Match
- Commuter Benefits
- Paid Parental Leave
- One Medical Membership for you and your family
This is a full-time role based in San Francisco, CA.
One Medical is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants from every background and life experience.